Mono pods

Thread starter #1

leo

Retired Woody's Mod 7/01-12/09
and heads

I am considering getting the Bogen Manfrotto 3216 Mpod, any advice on it is appreciated:)

Also what head would work best on a monopod?? I currently use a monopod that will tilt and swivel, but do not use the swivel part.

What is y'alls preference on mpods and heads:D

rip18

I use a Bogen 3229 head on top of a Bogen 3218 monopod. I don't use the monopod much; basically if I can use a tripod I do; if I can't then the monopod comes out. I take the monopod to the zoo, etc. where carrying a tripod is either prohibited or problematic because of all the people.

I end up using a beanbag more than the monopod for "quick" situations around my truck (& even carry it in the field some).

ronfritz

That's one of the two I have. The other is the 3230 which is needlessly heavy in my opinion.

To me that 3216 is just fine...something even lighter would probably work fine too.

I also have the 3232 head. Makes it easy to install/remove the camera. Without that head or some kind of quick release I think I might damage the rubber bottom of the camera when attempting to screw the tripod tightly to the camera.

After all the talk about ball heads recently, I've installed the 3232 on top of a small Bogen ball head so that it articulates better. I don't think I'd recommend buying a ball head just for that purpose but have the small one so figure I might as well use it.

Razorback

Leo,

Bogen makes a good mono pod. I have used several types; light weight, heavy duty, very long & walking staff types.

I currently use Bogen's light weight 'Jr' w/ the tilt swivel & quick release. I chose this one because of the weight, no protruding latches and the size is just right for me. The tilt/swivel feature is rarely used but the QR is a must in my opinion. The QR is the same on the tilt/swivel, the 3265 grip action and the 322RC2 new style side handle grip action heads. Between my wife's ...pods & my ...pods we have about 7 heads w/ the same QR.

As far as the weight of a mono pod consider how long your going to tote it before you use it? Will it double as a walking staff or a weapon fending off various two & four legged wildlife?

The mono pods w/ the small legs are very spindly when it comes to supporting a camera & lens at eye level and a bit heavy. The Bogen auto legs a pretty sweet but a little pricey for the use I would give one.

Razorback aka Ken

Razorback

Leo,

I just read you sig line. How true;
its the mechanic not the tool...
its the rider not the bike...
its the shooter not the gun...

BUT

With crappy stuff you can only do so good. When you max out the ability of your 'tool' then its time to upgrade.

Razor

jason308

Leo...I have a Bogen head (3232 I believe) on a Stoney Point Explorer monopod/hiking stick/shooting rest....It has worked great for me so far, and is tough when used as a hiking staff as well. Not the typical monopod, but it works great for me. For a dedicated monopod (NOT a hiking stick) I would have to go with the Bogen. I will try to post a photo of mine sometime here soon....

FERAL ONE

Shutter Mushin' Mod
leo , i have a modified shooting stick that i use but only for my point and shoot. i have been thinking about a monopod just for those times when i am out and about and can't tote the tripod. i hope it will help a little!!! i still want some bags like rip uses too!!! i would like to have a head that would use the bogan plate since i rarely take that off my camera.

Thread starter #8

leo

Thanks all

for the replies...

I like the Quick release for the heads suggestion:)

I use mine mostly for the beach walks at Gulf Shores.

I need a light weight, but I'm not looking at the super light weight materials..

I'll look this on up,
Bogen's light weight 'Jr' w/ the tilt swivel & quick release
I don't think I checked it yet....

I have looked at most of the ones mentioned, but will probably ck them again, thanks for the input:D

Razorback

Leo,

...Bogen's light weight 'Jr' w/ the tilt swivel & quick release...

*Bogen 679B(old name was "Junior") $37
*Bogen 3229 Tilt Swivel w/ Quick Release $37
*Bogen 3157N Standard Quick Release Plate $13-buy one more than you need because w/o it all you have a aluminum stick
*Bogen 3157NR "Non-Rotaing" Quick Rlease Plate $20-it has an adjustable lip that keeps the QR plate from turning when you tilt your camera

There you go & no subtle ad where you can find this in stock and get your hands on it.;)

Razor

Razorback

Leo,

I just re-read the thread agin & noticed the 'walks at Gulf Shores' part. After such a walk & BEFORE you collaspe the leg be sure to rinse it off w/ fresh water. This will keep damage by sand to a minimum.

Razor

slimbo

I have a neotec by monfrotto with one of their ball heads on top, and I love it. sports, hiking, zoos, its great. I like the neotec, cause you dont have to fool with levers or thumbscrews to adjust the height of it. Im even thinking about buying a neotec tripod.

Thread starter #12

leo

Now that's another one

I haven't looked at yet, thanks Slimbo:)

I have a neotec by monfrotto with one of their ball heads on top, and I love it. sports, hiking, zoos, its great. I like the neotec, cause you dont have to fool with levers or thumbscrews to adjust the height of it. Im even thinking about buying a neotec tripod.
As I use it mainly for beach walking, I wonder if it can be dissembled easily to get sand/salt out of the legs?? Actually I wonder if the Bogens can??

Razorback

Leo,

The Neotec line is pretty cool and might be pricey-depending on your point of view.

I went & grabbed the two I had. Here's the poop as I see;

*Bogen 3245 $100-first model out. Squeeze lock under camera platform to lock & unlock one section. Great for fine tuning height. The other section is like a 'mic' stand or shower curtain rod, just turn the section to unlock or lock that section. It has no defined knob.

*Bogen 625B $158 Second generation & uses the 'Neotec' style leg. It has the same squeeze lock below the platform but with a pinkie finger lever to unlock the lock-a safety for the lock so to speak. There is a foam pad on the leg so its more comfortable on the shoulder or cold weather. the bottom of the leg has a big rubber foot on a ball socket so it can rest on top of soft soil & tilt some. That same rubber foot can screw back/retract to revel a sharp point to dig into the ground or a rival high schools gym floor;)::ke:

Both monpods use the 'inverted' leg design. This means all the locks are at the top of the leg so the lower portion is effectively seal from the bottom tip to the first lock-about 20" up. This style is not as user servicable is traditonal legs so do your best to keep the sand out of the locks. Also both use the 3/8" mounting thread at the camera platform. You have the larger thread for the strength when you mount a tilt/swivel adapter or heavy lens. If you mount the monopod straight to your camera the 3/8" thread retracts to revel the 1/4" standard thread. And of course they come in "Professional Black".::ke:

Bogen just changed a lot of their model numbers and prices. The black anodizing cost the same as the clear anodizing. Our cost went up but the selling price went down:banginghe. That's a new one to us.

Anyway enough rambling,

Good luck

Razor

Last edited: