Trail Cam Recommendations

Thread starter #1

hambone44

I would like to have some feedback on setting up trail cameras for turkeys. I am baffled as to why I have not gotten loads of photos of turkeys where I hunt.

The place is saturated with droves of turkeys, and I see them almost every time I go, but all I ever get on my camera is deer, deer, and more deer; which is fine during deer season, but after setting up where I have found scratching, and turkey tracks, and turkey droppings, I still get more deer pics???!!.

It's almost as if they are phantoms, I tell ya.

Anywayyy, I would appreciate it if someone, anyone, can tell me any secrets of luring the shy birdies in front of the camera. Are there better heights to set the camera? Are turkeys scared to frequent back to where their photos have been taken?

The best luck I have had is sitting in my blind and taking photos of them myself with my Nikon, but I can't be there all the time, obviously.

Thanks. :(

If you want turkey pics I strongly recommend useing a feeder, every year after deer season I start throwing corn out when I get home from work for the deer. Well this year I had a gang of turkeys show up during hunting season which is fine. well all the hens left in nov. but 4 gobblers kept coming back and when I started throwing the corn out 3 days later I had turkeys 6 feet away waiting on corn. now I can't shoot them, it sucks

rhbama3

Administrator
what kind of trail camera do you have? Have you tested your sensor range lately? Which way do you have it facing?
I have quite a collection of trail camera's and have found that for turkey's my best pictures are with the camera facing North, mounted 2 feet high, with scratch feed spread around 15 feet in front of camera. One thing to remember is that your camera's sensor range will usually decrease as the day get's hotter. Hope this helps, Robert

I get a fair number of turkey pics in public woods - just putting out some corn. I put my Scoutguard camera (HCO) pretty low - about 2 ft from the ground.

dutchman

Low to the ground is a good tip. These were shot with a camera mounted about 18" or so off the ground. The location was a gas pipeline that had been planted in wheat and rye grain. They seemed to like it.

Obviously with a gas line set up, you're going to be limited as to the direction in which the camera faces. You would normally avoid facing the camera to the east or west so you could avoid sun/glare issues as you see in the first photo. But sometimes, you have no choice.

Attachments

I recomend placing the camera low on the tree and face it due north. To hold them there I broadcast rye grass seed all around the area. They will tear it up. I was getting 200 pics a week of turkeys and this was on a little 47 acre tract!

Ricochet

Yeah, put the trailcam out next to a feeder and position it low and even angle it down a little (if needed).

feeder_w_022607 050

feeder_w_022607 003

feeder_w_022307 115

wooly

Ricochet, those are sharp pictures. What kind of TC are you using? From the time stamp it appears to be a home built TC and the pictures are great.
Ken

Ricochet

Ricochet, those are sharp pictures. What kind of TC are you using? From the time stamp it appears to be a home built TC and the pictures are great.
Ken
Yeah it is a homebrew TC with a Sony S40 digicam...great little setup. I sold it recently, but might build another sooner or later. BTW, those photos where taken 2 years ago and hope that jake is now a big gobbler...I hope to find out soon.